+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks

Title transfer and registration in MN

I have heard so many different things I will ask my question here. I am looking to buy a used boat from a private party. I will need to transfer the title to my name and register the boat in MN. What should I expect to pay to get this done at the DMV. Do I just have to pay tax on the value of the trailer or the boat and trailer combined?
    Mike Debner
    mike.debner@anglerinsider.com

Thanks
    I'd call DNR to find out for sure. I bought a new boat and trailer in WS and paid sales tax there on the boat, no trailer reg. When I got it here I had to pay the MN trailer registration but the sales tax was waived because I could prove I had paid it in WS. If it had been from a private party I think they would have nailed me for sales tax on the whole rig. That was also 4 years ago but I doubt it's changed. This is still the land of 10,000 taxes!

The guy previously known as "Pigslayer".

Thanks
    From what I remember you only pay tax, title and license on the trailer. On the boat itself I think you pay only title transfer and license if it is not current. If you bought the boat from someone in MN and they have a lifetime license on the trailer then you don't have to pay for that, but I sure they will get you for a transfer.

Thanks
    That is what I have heard from some people. That you only need to pay tax on the trailer which is a lot better than paying the tax on the boat and motor.
    Mike Debner

Thanks
    That is correct, there is only sales tax on the trailer....So the trailer is probably only worth $100.00.....right??
    Olson Insurance Agency
    [email]ole1855@yahoo.com[/email]
    952-224-4774

Thanks
    Just tell them you paid a couple hundred bucks for the trailer and you can get buy fairly cheap.

Thanks
    Is there any sales tax on a title transfer or is it a flat rate?
    Mike Debner

Thanks
    I think it was a flat rate, but it might depend on the length of the boat, I don't remember for sure

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BASSRANGER View Post
    From what I remember you only pay tax, title and license on the trailer. On the boat itself I think you pay only title transfer and license if it is not current. If you bought the boat from someone in MN and they have a lifetime license on the trailer then you don't have to pay for that, but I sure they will get you for a transfer.
    This is what I had to do for mine. I belive even though the license on the boat was current, I had to pay about $5 to switch it to my name.
    I was wondering why the frisbee kept getting bigger. Then all of a sudden it hit me

Thanks
    My mom works at the DMV. I let her read the question, here is her response.

It depends on if it is a titled boat. If it is titled, the boat will cost 17.00 to transfer the title if the registration is current. 16' and under usually don't have a title. The trailer is transferred seperately, and a value on the trailer only is needed. Tax only gets paid on the value of the trailer. Hope this helps.
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]It's only funny until someone gets hurt... Then it's freakin' [B]hilarious[/B]!!

[/SIZE][/FONT]

Thanks
    You only pay sales tax on the trailer and transfer fees.Cant remember the weight but larger trailers like mine still require a plate which runs 12.50 a year.

Thanks
    I had to fight to get a life time on mine. The title says 4500 pounds, but the plate on the trailer says 2500 lbs. I had a cop tell me to destroy my title and get a replacement, which they had to write off of the plate.
    I was wondering why the frisbee kept getting bigger. Then all of a sudden it hit me

Thanks
    My title also says 4500 LBS and the sticker on the plate also says 4500 LBS.I hate these plates and dont even put it on the trailer as they get bent up on the landings.I just have it in the truck in case I were to get stoped.It wouldnt be bad if they were a small plate but they are the same size as a car plate.

Thanks
    Not the license plate, the little metal place on the tongue that has the serial # and such, it say maximum weight 2500, while the title said 4500.

Thanks
    So did yours get titled wrong from the start? Ill have to check mine but Im sure it is right and it is a tandom axel and a 21 foot boat.

Thanks
    I don't know if it's the original title or not, as I bought the boat/trailer used, but it had the same serial number on it.

Thanks
    If the Gross Weight of the trailer is over 3000 lbs, (including boat, trailer, fishing gear, fish, etc) you have to have a plate and renew registration yearly. If it is under 3000, you can get a permanent sticker.
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]It's only funny until someone gets hurt... Then it's freakin' [B]hilarious[/B]!!

[/SIZE][/FONT]

Thanks
    I thought it was 3000 but wasnt sure.Thanks Krab